all these news stories that keep coming up about the government shutdown fail to show that the shutdown disproportionately affects *working class people* who rely on government aid
you know what kind of aid can't be shut down at the whim of the ruling class? community mutual aid
replace your government today!
"hi io, I want to try this mutual aid stuff but don't know how"
- find a local chapter of food not bombs, or start one
- join a solidarity union (IWW is good in us/can) and take on some tasks
- talk to people while you're waiting for the bus
- (techies) find or start a repair cafe
- (spiritual people) find a church doing good community work and help, as long as they aren't proselytizing at the same time
- babysit for your radical friends with kids so your friends can do stuff
- read some books on capitalism, colonialism, history of your area, ideally with someone else
- volunteer at a shelter for houseless people. especially if you have the privilege, consider bullying anyone in an administrative role that's acting like people in the shelter aren't human beings
- that friend of yours that's really struggling to get by? bring them dinner the night they work late
- go to a training on opiate overdose response, get some narcan and learn how to use it
@io My comrades and I did some narcan training last year. I definitely recommend it. Now, I carry a couple doses of narcan with me just in case.
@io TIL it’s cool to bully people if they’re bad people
@USBloveDog where did you learn that?
@io IWW is strong here in the U.K. too!
@io this is awesome
And super disproportionately indegenious people! There nations money is tied up with the fed, so they often cant use their own money for payroll, aid, inftastructure stuff just bc the colonizer govt is fucking up
Toots from Richmond, VA and around the world. Stick around for good vibes.